Merino guinea pigs are timid but cute fluffy rodents and makes for a good family pet.

When people think of adopting a cavy, most of them are shocked to learn about several different breeds of guinea-pigs. Merino guinea pig is the rarest of this breed being curious, outgoing, and laidback. The most popular theory with this breed is Merino is a cross of Coronet & Rex Breeds.

Appearance – Merino’s have a long, curly coat, and a short forehead crest. Some of the merino’s have average coats while others are so voluminous that they appear like little sheep. Their hair is cute, soft, long, and curly which feels elastic and bouncy while we touch.

Merino’s are one of the smaller breed wherein the adult measures between 4 and 11 inches. Their ears are small petal shaped with eyes set on the side of the head. Merino’s are normally self-coloured cavies in a single hair tone like honey-brown or black.


Since curly fur is the major component of this cavy’s body its grooming is required on a regular basis.

Fur is to be groomed regularly with the plastic comb, though the merino clean the fur themselves.
They cannot reach all the part of their body and hence combing is required.

Using a grooming kit, their coat can be trimmed once or twice a month.
So there is always a safety buffer of around 1 cm from the ground.
They are not required to be bathed regular, only if recommended by the vet because of fungal infection or parasite.


The digestive system of the cavy is quite sensitive and weak which make them prone to gastrointestinal sickness.
Processed foods containing fats and sugars should be avoided to keep them healthy.

They are even prone to respiratory infections-and-pneumonia is the most significant disease they get by several-bacteria including Bordet-Ella and Streptococcus. Diarrhoea, scurvy, tumours, urinary infections, parasites, and skin problems are some of the other diseases found in this pet. Visit the Vet immediately you find any change.

Merino guinea pigs

Merino’s always require a companion and to make them happy always adopt them in a pair.
Give them toys to play, and a clean and spacious cage with hiding spots in it.

This cavy is a social pet and hence they require the company of others. These little cute merinos requires a cage with hideouts to sleep and hide when they feel shy.

Diet – Their diet consists of almost 75% of hay and the rest 25% is divided between fruits, vegetables, and pellets.

They lack vitamin C and hence their daily diet can consist red or green pepper, broccoli and tomatoes.

Which are the rich-source of it whereas even leafy-green-vegetables such as lettuce, kale-cilantro, or parsley, can be given daily. Carrots, and zucchini can be given once or twice a week.