Although guinea pigs are quite peaceful by nature, we should not forget that they are rodents (such as hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils) and it is perfectly normal for them to bite. However, it is important to understand that this is not the case, but there is some specific reason that provoked this behavior of the animal.
Do guinea pigs bite?
By nature, these rodents are fairly calm and peaceful animals, but in some cases these cute pets can become quite biting. Usually the provoking factor is a violation of their personal space.
The most common reasons for biting guinea pigs:
1. Hold the animal by the shoulders. As a rule, this mainly happens when your pet is at the vet’s and receives a subcutaneous injection. Therefore, he associates these strong hugs with this unpleasant memory purely instinctively and this is the reason guinea pig to chew on.
2. Bathing, trimming and trimming nails is quite an annoying thing for small fluffy animals. If you have taught them from an early age, the chance of being bitten is much less, but if they are not used to it, be prepared for these unpleasant surprises.
3. Another situation that can cause a bite is the banal cleaning of the cage, which is simply annoying to the animal as it violates its privacy.
4. Guinea pigs don’t usually get nervous if you take them in your arms for a while, but even they may not be in the mood to bite you.
5. Like all of us, pets may have their own preferences. For example, guinea pigs can be irritated if you touch their belly and that is the reason they bite you.
6. Aggression of guinea pigs it may be because you were away from home for a long time and your pet just got used to your caresses.
7. Not only humans can have mental health problems, but also guinea pigs. Usually, a mental disorder can manifest itself after prolonged, acute or cruel treatment.
8. A guinea pig can bite youif you feel something delicious that they love very much. Therefore, it is important to wash your hands well to avoid this unpleasant surprise.
9. Changing the environment is another common reason that can induce more aggressive behavior in animals, and this applies not only to guinea pigs.
10. If you take an animal in your arms and it is hungry, be prepared that it will most likely bite you.
However, if you have been bitten by your pet, it is a good idea to think about what could be causing it and eliminate the factor that provokes this behavior. And remember that it is good to buy toys for your pets, because this way they will be able to play with them and their instincts will be minimized.
Make sure you know how to properly care for your guinea pig. This includes a gentle approach to the rodent without sudden movements. Always provide the right guinea pig food at the right time. When your pet is full, calm and healthy, he did not act aggressively.